Saturday, June 30, 2012

Taco Casserole

Here is a recipe I got from my wonderful mother-in-law.  It is a nice easy meal and very good.

Taco Casserole

2 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 pkgs taco seasoning (depending on how strong you like it)

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can evaporated milk
1 can enchilada sauce
2 cups monterey jack/colby or mexican mix cheese (a good melting chicken)

Brown ground beef, onion together in large skillet or pot. Add taco seasoning and mix.  Add both soups, evaporated milk and enchilada sauce.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Line bottom of baking dish with nacho flavored Doritos*.  Pour in meat mixture and top with grated cheddar cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese melts and mixture is bubbling well along sides.


Remove from oven and let set up for 5-10 minutes.  Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa or other favorite toppings.  My husband also enjoys eating the leftovers in tortillas.


* I did not have the nacho flavored Doritos so I used plain tortilla chips and sprinkled them with taco seasoning.  You want a good layer of chips, don't make it too thin.  I also sprinkled the top with some taco seasoning after I put on the cheese.


No comments: